International Baccalaureate, experiences and modeling compatability?

Home Forums Modeling: General International Baccalaureate, experiences and modeling compatability?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alan Smith 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

William Lyons
    Participant

Has anyone had experience using modeling in an International Baccalaureate (IB) setting? I do not have experience or training in IB but may have to teach in that setting next year. I can’t imagine not using modeling…
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if I missed an existing thread, search came up empty.
    Bill

Wendy McRae

A year later, I am also wondering whether anyone out there is teaching an IB science course with modeling. I’m an experienced IB physics teacher, thinking of trying modeling instruction at least for some units.

Alan Smith

I have taught Physics using Modeling since 2008, and I taught 3/4 (long story) of the IB Physics HL course once. Given the breadth of material in DP Physics, I don’t think Modeling is a good fit. For example, Topic 2.2 includes all three of Newton’s Laws plus momentum and impulse, and is only allotted 6 hours. In the standard Modeling timeline, that would take 6-9 weeks. That being said, I found the Modeling approach to designing labs to be extremely well-aligned with the IB Internal Assessment rubrics, and my students did very well, even if they didn’t do well on the Papers.

An Interactive Engagement technique like Peer Instruction could work well, though. I tried to use PI, but didn’t really do it well or often enough.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.