Read this first

Home Forums Modeling: General Read this first

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Spencer 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

leetramp

You may post items in this forum that are of general interest to modelers in every discipline and grade level. Be sure to tag your post with  a topic or two so it is searchable.

If you notice a post that you think is inappropriate please send Colleen a note about it at amtaexec@realstem.com.

Model on!

Jim Deane
    Participant

My co-teacher and I are teaching 10th grade physical science for the first time.  Previously we have taught 10th grade introductory physics or (previous years) 9th grade introductory physics.  We have used modeling methods since 2009.  I took a physics modeling workshop at Emporia State in 2009 (1-week), and my colleague adopted some of the modeling instruction and curriculum from me.

We looked at the modeling physical science curriculum materials, but it didn’t fit the specs we need for the class.  We need to run a semester of chemistry topics and a semester of physics topics to ‘mesh’ properly with online and alternative programs in the district.  It needs to be at a very low math level, and we will supplement or add in mathematical topics depending on the level of the class.  We currently run regular PS and advanced PS classes, with the only difference being the math we expect them to be able to do.

We’re open to discussion and suggestions, and I’ll be sharing with others as we figure out what we’re doing.

Edward Warzeski
    Participant

I re-downloaded Mark Schober’s Word files for the Free Particle Unit, as the Shady Side and Rex Reed et al adaptations for Physics First place balanced and unbaslanced forces in one unit.  I was able to access the files just fine two weeks ago.  Now, when I attempt to open any of them, I get something like this:

[1][1]2 [1]R‑W8BNMSWD‑‑¬QÛ

A‑ÿÿ

I am about to try re-downloading again, which chews up time I can’t afford.   Does anybody have any idea what happened?  I am going back and forth between my iMac at home, running Mountain Lion,  OS 10.8.2, and my school Dell laptop running Windows 7.  I think the original download was on the Mac.  Could this be a problem between the two platforms/systems?  Or is something else going on?

Bob Warzeski

E. Robert Warzeski, PhD

Benjamin Franklin High School

2001 Leon C. Simon Dr.

New Orleans, LA  70122

Edward Warzeski
    Participant

OK, I re-downloaded the files in the Free Particle Model (i.e. Balanced Forces) unit in Word format on the Dell laptop.  (I have to create a makeup version of a test, and need to be able to edit the documents).  However, attempting to open the documents just gets the following:

[1]& W8BNMSWD

I have not tried all the documents to see if they are identical in this respect.  Is there a compatability issue between these files and Windows 7?

Bob Warzeski

leetramp

Bob, I’ll look into this and get back to you this weekend.

Rob Spencer

word files contain mostly nothing and a little gibberish. Can they be re-uploaded?

Thanks,
    Rob

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.