Standards Based Grading (SBG) in Chemistry

Home Forums Chemistry Standards Based Grading (SBG) in Chemistry

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Carlos Montero 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Bryna Goeckner
    Participant

I am working on developing the standards/objectives/targets that I want to use for my new standards based grading system.  I teach following the Modeling Chemistry curriculum and since I don’t have any teachers to collaborate with in person, I was hoping to find someone who is also working on this or has already developed something and woul be willing to share.  I will post whatever I come up with (hopefully before school starts ).  I am starting by using the objectives for each unit as a base, but am thinking they need to be grouped/pared down since ten objectives per unit seems like a lot.

Carol Arny
    Participant

I am also starting to work on SBG in Chemistry and would like to collaborate!  I am the only modeler at my school and as far as I know the only one interested in SBG.  I would be interested in exchanging ideas about learning targets.  This year I am gong to get my feet wet by starting with 6-8 essential skills learning targets that students will work on mastering during semester 1 and semester 2.

Carol Arny

Bryna Goeckner
    Participant

Since I originally posted, I have had a chance to connect with Tracie Schroeder who devleoped her own objectives  at Adventures with the Lower Level and I have tweaked them for my own use (mine are posted at my new blog Science Without Spectators).  They come from the objectives listed for each unit in the original Modeling Chemistry documents, but wording is changed.  I’m not crazy about the number of objectives I have listed at this point and am open to comments on wording, priority, or anything else.  Feel free to borrow/steal/share!

Marci Denney
    Participant

May I use/tweak these for my classroom?  Similar goals…  and I love that they are all in “I can” format.

Bryna Goeckner
    Participant

Please feel free to copy & change as you need.  I wanted to post these since I had trouble finding something initially – and why reinvent the whole thing on your own.

Depending on what topics you cover, you might also check with Tracie’s objectives (link above) as she covers a few I don’t.

I’d love to see what you come up with as well.

James Gorman
    Participant

I started using SBG in my physics class last year which was honors students. It was hard in the beginning for the students to get used to not having a “grade” and these were honors students.

I am considering about changing to an SBG system for my two chemistry class this coming year. However, they are college prep and are usually the unmotivated type of student. Does anyone have experience using SBG with a class like this? It would be really nice to hear about your experiences. My department head did not think it was a good thing to use SBG with them.

I would also be interested in hearing about your experience this past year in chemistry using SBG.

Carlos Montero
    Participant

This is great! a few of us are working on writing our own standards for every unit. I am not going to look at yours until I am done with mine and then compare. I will ask some of the other folks to share theirs on here as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.