Workshops Supplies, Equipment and Materials
1. MODELING curriculum materials in Mechanics, Chemistry I and II, Physical Science, E&M, Light, Biology, or CASTLE. (updated 5/2/16)
All Modeling curriculum is available on the AMTA member portal. A one-year AMTA membership is provided to each workshop participant as a part of the curriculum licensing fee.
Print version of workshop curriculum materials. These are printed, three-hole punched, shrink-wrapped, and shipped by
Crown Press in Phoenix. They don’t ship individual manuals, and they prefer to print large orders.
- mechanics: $15
- microscopic e & m: $12
- CASTLE electricity: $12
- light: $11
- chemistry 1: $15
- chemistry 2: $12
- physical science: $12
- biology: $36 (large manual)
ORDERING INFO for Crown Press:
To place an order for your Modeling Instruction teacher’s Manuals,
you can email your order to:
Patrick O’Dell Patrick@crownpress.com
You can also call the Crown Press: 602-437-4444 (office) Patrick O’Dell: 480-526-8823
Crown Press – 2450 S 24th St, Phoenix, AZ 85034 Open 8:300 to 5:00 M-F
Federal tax ID number: 86 0576954
For print materials a 2″ 3-ring binder with tab dividers is essential. A 3″ binder is recommended for the biology manual.
2. Recommendations for Vernier Software & Technology for chemistry and physics workshops
Buy these at Lowe’s or Home Depot, and have them delivered to the workshop site. I suggest that you order 6 for each teacher (ask them to cut each 4’ x 8’ sheet into six 24” x 32” student whiteboards: about $15 per sheet). For suggested maintenance, download the fact sheet on whiteboards.
4. Constant Motion Vehicle
(mechanics and physical science):
a) Get them by the case from Westminster Co.
Attn. Cindy Luong
Item number 0004, Antenna Tumbler Buggy
$48/dozen, but the minimum order is 3 dozen.
159 Armour Drive, Atlanta, GA 30324
Direct to Cindy Luong: 1-678-539-3472
Toll Free: 800-257-0824
Federal tax ID number: 58-1155472
b) Mary Anne Wells
The Physics Toolbox, Inc. Price: A case of 24 costs $144 + actual shipping cost via UPS Ground (please call for quote). This works out to $6+/buggy. Purchase orders accepted and web orders will be adjusted to reflect discount. Workshop hosts should email Mary Anne at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or quotes! Please include the site of your workshop.
PO Box 5693, Williamsburg, VA 23188
Voice: 800-519-1724 Fax: 800-519-1842
5) Books that teachers find valuable
a) The text for the modeling workshop in mechanics is:
TEACHING INTRODUCTORY PHYSICS by Arnold B. Arons (John Wiley, 1996 or 1997). ISBN-10: 0471137073 ISBN-13: 978-0471137078
Discount Code: Contact Wendy Hehemann for the discount code that must be entered on Wiley.com before checkout per Christine Kushner.
When teachers enter the discount code, the phrase “Modeling Workshop” will populate. The price will come up automatically.
If customers need to use a PO, they must contact customer service; they cannot pay by PO online. They should include the promo code on the PO they submit to Customer Care (by phone: (877) 762-2974 / fax: 732-302-2370). The discount is driven by the code, so as long as the code is entered/noted/used when the customer places their order, the customer will receive the discount.
b) A crucial resource for physics teachers:
PRECONCEPTIONS IN MECHANICS by Charles Camp and John Clement.
- Download it FREE on the AMTA website. (Note: physical science teachers find the introduction, chapter 1 and the appendix useful.)
- Link to it at http://modeling.asu.edu/Projects-Resources.html in the section on “students’ naive conceptions”.
c) We find the Karplus textbook to be a valuable resource for physics and chemistry teachers.
- Download it (or any chapters) FREE at http://fernwig.org . Login “guest” and Password “guest” Link to Fernand Brunschwig’s supplementary materials (simulations, energy flow diagrams, answers to end-of-chapter questions) at the same webpage.
- Buy it, in paperback: Introductory Physics: A Model Approach by Robert Karplus, 2nd or 1st edition, edited by Fernand Brunschwig. Copyright 2011 or 2003 (either edition is fine).
TO ORDER MULTIPLE COPIES AT A DISCOUNT
($25/copy for orders of 20 copies or more)
Fernand Brunschwig, Publisher
245 West 107 Street, Apt. 10B
New York, NY 10025
Preferred phone number: 646-942-7451 (cellphone)
email@example.comFederal Tax ID (Employer ID #): 27-2736696
ORDER COPY ONLINE (www.Amazon.com, or www.BarnesandNoble.com).
Discounted price online is about $35.
Search on Brunschwig or Karplus, Robert.
ISBN-10: 0982725809 ISBN-13: 978-0982725801
d) LAB PRACTICUMS, by Hank Ryan and Jon Barber.
The order form is at http://modeling.asu.edu/modeling-HS.html.
Click on “Lab practicums”. Cost: $23 + $3 shipping.
e) INTRODUCTORY PHYSICAL SCIENCE (9th edition) by Haber-Schaim, Gendel, Kirksey, Pratt . Includes force, motion, and Newton’s laws ($68 in 2012). Visit their extensive website: http://www.sci-ips.com
Federal tax ID number: 04-3211646
f) THE CHEMISTRY CLASSROOM, by Dudley Herron. Buy on Amazon.com for about $30.
g) A POSTER: Why Take Physics
The classroom poster called WHY TAKE PHYSICS costs $.30 for AAPT members in 2015 (and $1.00 for non-members) at the AAPT store.
h) FREE BROCHURE FOR COUNSELORS:
Download the “7 MYTHS ABOUT HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICS” brochure (new as of 2011) at http://www.aapt.org/Resources/upload/WhyPhysicsBrochure_R4.pdf
It informs guidance counselors, parents, students, and others about benefits of taking physics in high school. You can order multiple copies by following the links there. 10 for $2.49.
MORE SUPPLIES FOR PHYSICAL SCIENCE and CHEMISTRY WORKSHOPS:
1) For the 1st physical science workshop (on matter & energy
• stop clock (MyChron stop watch),
• metric tape measure
• 1 cm plain cubes
• 1 cm interlocking cubes
• volume relation set
• electronic balance or triple-beam balance
• Graphical Analysis software (Vernier Software: $80; ask for 5% discount)
2) Physical science & chemistry teachers like the Eureka DVD Heat and Temperature. Episodes 16-21 can be found on YouTube
3) DVDs of A Private Universe and Minds of Our Own.
http://www.learner.org, free Video on Demand (or for purchase). Search for “Minds of Our Own,” and “A Private Universe” to view these programs
OPTIONAL MISCELLANEOUS SUPPLIES
1) quad-ruled computation notebooks (8.5 inches x 11 inches are best). Costs about $14 at Staples.
2) scissors, scotch tape, 3-hole punches, name-tags, & staplers
3) dry erase markers