For Workshop Leaders & Organizers
Below are some checklists for workshop leaders. Of course, your workshop will have some differences, but this is a good start.
- It’s great if you can get a company/grant/etc. to sponsor your workshop. Remember that in most cases your workshop will be independent from AMTA; however if you need non-profit status for a sponsorship opportunity, AMTA may be able help. Please contact Wendy@modelinginstruction.org for additional suggestions/insights.
- Sponsorships can also provide stipends for your participants, which will increase the popularity of your workshop.
- If you approach a large company for a sponsorship, don’t present yourself as representing AMTA as the organization looks for grants and companies/foundations and this association may confuse the grant seeking process. However, if you have connections with national organizations and would like to collaborate with AMTA on grants, we invite this partnership.
- If an institution sponsors your workshop you can expect that they will provide fiscal management (collect workshop fees, pay bills, compensate instructors, etc.). If they cannot provide fiscal management, you can arrange for AMTA to do this for you for a fee of $800). If you decide to use AMTA for this service please contact Wendy at least a month before you need to begin workshop registration so we can iron out the details and create the necessary web pages. One advantage to using AMTA is as a registered 501(c)(3) non-profit so you are exempt from paying sales tax on workshop purchases.
- You may print materials in-house or through a local vendor.
- AMTA collaborates with Crown Press (https://crownpress.com) in Phoenix to print materials. Contact Patrick O’Dell at (602)437-4444 about materials costs (you are responsible for paying for the number of binders you use).
- You should plan on purchasing large binders for your participants, usually 3″ will do.
- All documents are available online.
- You can also post supplemental documents to the Forums (we can create a sub-forum just for your workshop). Other workshops create a Googledoc file to support group communications.
Workshop leader stipends
- AMTA suggests that workshop leader stipends are generally $1,500/week and advocates for a two-leader workshop structure.
Most workshops require reading outside of the teacher notes. These provide background information on teaching and learning that are not included in the teacher notes.
- Arons, Arnold – A Guide to Introductory Physics Teaching. This book can be ordered at a significant discount. ISBN-10: 0471137073 ISBN-13: 978-0471137078. Contact Wendy Hehemann for the discount code that must be entered on Wiley.com before checkout.
- Jackson, Jane, Dukerich, Larry, and Hestenes, David – Modeling Instruction: An Effective Model for Science Education (8 pages, reprint from Science Educator, Spring 2008)
- Wells, Malcom, Hestenes David, and Swackhamer, Gregg – A Modeling Method for High School Physics Instruction (34 pages, reprint from the American Journal of Physics, July 1995).
- Many leaders arrange to have their workshops approved as courses at local universities. AMTA has established a relationship with Aurora University to earn graduate credit for many Modeling Workshops (@ $100/credit hour). A three week workshop is eligible for 6 credit hours. If you do not have a local University/College contact and are interested in an Aurora University (AU) Credit option, contact us at email@example.com for more details.
- Most workshops start the first day by providing snacks for participants, then ask them to sign up for bringing different snacks on following days.
- Don’t forget that coffee machines are appreciated.
Logistics at your site:
- Parking: Do participants need any permits?
- Lodging: If you can, find a local hotel that will provide a discount to attendees. University/College dorm housing is an option to also consider.
- Copying: You will probably need to make a few copies during the workshop, so having access to a copy machine is useful.
- Additional materials and supplies suggestions can be found at: (http://legacy.modelinginstruction.org/teachers/workshops-2014/how-to-host-a-modeling-workshop/modeling-workshops-supplies-equipment-and-materials/) TO be moved.